Thursday 24 August 2017

The Honeymoon by Tina Seskis @tinaseskis @PenguinUKBooks #Givaway #Win





There's trouble in paradise . . .
For as long as she can remember, Jemma has been planning the perfect honeymoon. A fortnight's retreat to a five-star resort in the Maldives, complete with luxury villas, personal butlers and absolute privacy.
It should be paradise. But it's turned into a nightmare.
Because the man Jemma married a week ago has just disappeared from the island without a trace. And now her perfect new life is vanishing just as quickly before her eyes.
After everything they've been through together, how can this be happening? Is there anyone on the island who Jemma can trust? And above all - where has her husband gone?







The Honeymoon by Tina Seskis was published by Penguin, in paperback on 1 June 2017 and is the author's third novel.

I have a paperback copy of The Honeymoon to give away, find out how to win at the end of this review.

Way back in April 2013, I reviewed a book called One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis. The author had personally contacted me to tell me about this book. It was self-published, with a stunning cover and an intriguing premise. I loved it, and my review is on Random Things. Lots of people loved that book and Tina got a publishing deal with Penguin who re-published the book (and kept the cover image).
This was followed by A Serpentine Affair (re-published by Penguin as When We Were Friends), which I reviewed on the blog in August 2013.

It's been a long time to wait for The Honeymoon, but it's really worth it. I spent my weekend with my nose firmly planted in it, my list of things to do over the weekend remained 'to-do', it's one of those books that you just can't help but keep reading .... just one more chapter, and another, and another.

Tina Seskis is such a clever author, she's created a story that is both intriguing and compelling, populated with realistic characters; some of whom I despised. Lead character Jemma is the focus of the story which is told in her voice in the present, with flashbacks beginning seven years ago, up to the present time, told in the third person, and detailing how Jemma and her husband came to be enjoying a luxury honeymoon in the Maldives.

Jemma .... oh, Jemma. She's such an unsavoury character; selfish, neurotic, whingey and quite unbearable. Jemma's new husband has disappeared without a trace. There's no sign of him anywhere on the tiny island - no sign at all. Jemma veers between rage and despair and complete self-absorbed misery. The author cleverly drops subtle hints about their relationship, and the first surprise adds even more doubt about Jemma's reliability.

There's a claustrophobic air about The Honeymoon that is stifling at times and adds so much to the tension of the story. This very small island, populated by rich holiday makers and always-smiling resort staff seems like another world, and the events that gradually unfold add to the suspense.

Whilst readers may work out the earlier surprise in the plot, I defy anyone to guess what happens at the the end of the story. That ending! I was totally and utterly unprepared for it, yet thinking back about the story, I can see that the author includes the tiniest of clues throughout the plot, but they are subtle and clever and it's certainly a shocker of a conclusion. Did I like the ending? I'm not sure. I've thought about it for a long time, I have my own ending that I'd like to have seen, but on reflection, my ending really wouldn't have worked .... the author knows her characters better than I do, I guess!

I could ramble on for a long time about The Honeymoon; there are so many issues to talk about. It's a study in relationships, and how the past can shape the present, and the future. The reader becomes privy to the lifestyle of the wealthy, and how that old adage 'money doesn't buy happiness' can come true; from the surgically enhanced, to the chemically aided glamour, to the trying-too-hard-to-be-happy older couples, to the oddly identical young couples; this author draws them finely, and intimately and to be honest, this is not the best advertisement for five star tropical island spa resorts!

Utterly compelling. The Honeymoon is a book that lingers in the head. Highly recommended for those who like a roller coaster, breathtaking read

My thanks to the publisher who sent my copy for review.


I have one paperback copy of The Honeymoon to give away. 
Entry is simple; just comment on this blog post, telling me where your ideal Honeymoon location is.
The competition will run for one week.  Good luck! 





Tina Seskis grew up in Hampshire, and after graduating from the University of Bath spent over 20 years working in marketing and advertising. 

She is the author of three novels, One Step Too Far, A Serpentine Affair and The Honeymoon.

Tina lives in North London with her husband and son.

Find out more at www.tinaseskis.com
Follow Tina on Twitter @tinaseskis











13 comments:

  1. Hmmm, difficult question!! I want my honeymoon to be at home every day.. A girl a dream :p I would LOVE to spend it in Iceland during New Year's Eve! I have seen pictures of friends who went there and had the most fabulous time, and I love the cold, it keeps the wrinkles away, so the husband close! Haha! Wonderful post, as always, dear Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing as I never had a honeymoon anywhere would be nice �� But seriously thinking about it and after reading endless books I'd love to stay on a barge in Paris in reminiscent to The Little Paris Bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er... well my ideal honeymoon location is the Maldives, which is where I had mine, but it might not be so after reading this... Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly didn't see that ending coming... !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to go to Paris 💗

    ReplyDelete
  6. Land's End - Cornwall - absolutely love Land's End!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say Tenerife as that's where I went on honeymoon. It was a gift, with whale and dolphin cruise, trips round the island and restaurant meals all thrown in as well. It was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had my Honeymoon in Harrogate. I wish we'd gone abroad. Prague would have been the best place as I think it is the most amazing beautiful place. So romantic with the lights on the bridge. Mind you, as long as we were alone and together I didn't really care where we went at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I was ever going to have a honeymoon, my destination of choice would be the Maldives! I would love to go there Anyway, but the thought of being a gooseberry to all those honeymooning couples puts me off a buy! I would just love coming out of my little bills on stilts & diving straight into a beautiful sea teeming with fish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would to do a tour of Italy, visiting all the different regions, soaking up the atmosphere, enjoying the food and wine....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed both Tina's previous novels

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doh..and it would have to be the Caribbean. White sands of Cuba

    ReplyDelete
  13. A remote Greek island in the sun...

    ReplyDelete