Friday 28 February 2014

Book Launch Party - The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes



A couple of months ago I entered a Twitter competition run by Cathy Rentzenbrink.  Cathy is Associate Editor at The Bookseller and We Love This Book.  She is also Project Director at Quick Reads. She has a great blog too. The prize was to be Cathy's 'plus one' at the launch party for Jojo Moyes' latest novel The One Plus One.

I read and reviewed The One Plus One at the end of last year, it's a wonderful book, another absolute triumph for one of my favourite authors.

I was delighted to receive an email from Cathy to tell me that I had won the prize.  The party was to be at The Ivy Club in Covent Garden.  I was very excited, but it was top secret and I was not to say anything about it, anywhere.  I had to keep quiet for a whole month!

Well, the date arrived on Monday, and off I went down to London on the train and made my way to The Ivy. Now, that alone, was very exciting - who hasn't heard of The Ivy - the place where all the celebrities seem to hang out?   The party was in The Club, even the entrance stairs and lift were deliciously plush!

Top: Jojo Moyes  /  Victoria Hislop & Kathy Lette
Bottom:  Jojo Moyes & Ian Hislop   /  Jojo and Polly Samson have the same taste in dresses!

I soon found myself drinking champagne and eating beautifully presented canapes in the most fabulous room, surrounded by lots of publishing people and lots and lots of authors.  I must admit I was a little star struck to find myself in a room with some of my all-time favourite authors; people whose books I had read and loved over the years.  I couldn't help but gaze around in awe at people like Victoria Hislop, Jenny Colgan, Kathy Lette, Polly Samson and of course Jojo Moyes.   I was thrilled to be introduced to Jojo and to get a lovely welcome and a big hug, she's sparkly and gorgeous and just as I imagined.   I managed to find Cathy through the throng of people and we had a quick chat and then listened to Jojo's speech - which was heartfelt and very funny.

It was really good to see Rebecca Chance and Serena Mackesy / Alex Marwood again too, I'd met them both a couple of weeks ago at the launch party for Rowan Coleman's The Memory Book.

I had to leave before the party ended, to get the last train out of Kings Cross, but I was so glad that I'd been there. It really was a great night, with so many friendly and welcoming people there.   The team at Penguin really know how to throw a fabulous party!

The One Plus One really is a wonderful book, if you've not read it yet, I'd urge you to make sure that you do so very soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment