Wednesday 18 September 2013

Swimming Pool Summer by Rebecca Farnworth

On an idyllic Greek island, three women try to keep their secrets hidden.
Frankie hasn't had a proper relationship for years.  But although she tells everyone this is how she wants it, secretly she's in love with her best friend Patrick.
Tor didn't think she could have a baby, but now she is pregnant by her younger lover. Could this mean the end of a romance that has started to mean more to her than she expected?
Leila seems to have it all - a happy marriage, a beautiful daughter and a successful career.  But she is harbouring a secret that could destroy her marriage.
And when an unexpected guest arrives, events start to spin out of control ....... 

The nights are beginning to draw in, the temperature has dropped and I'm really missing the sunshine. Despite the grey and gloomy weather outside, Swimming Pool Summer by Rebecca Farnworth quickly transported me to the Greek island of Zakynthos with ease.

I'm a massive fan of Greece, especially the Ionian islands and have visited Zakynthos on three occasions.  It's clear from her writing that Rebecca Farnworth loves the island too, her passion for it's beauty and it's people shines though, adding so much to the whole reading experience.

Three women; Frankie, Tor and Leila arrive on Zakynthos - along with an assortment of friends, partners and children.  They've known and supported each other for years, way back to their university days.  This holiday is a chance to relax, away from the stresses of their busy lives, a chance to unwind and spend some quality time together.  Each of the women have their own worries and hopefully a couple of weeks in the sunshine will make them all feel better.

The women are shocked when their friend Patrick arrives.  He hadn't told them that he was bringing his new girlfriend Candy.   Twenty-two year old Candy with her fake nails, dyed red hair, towering heels and full make-up is going to find it hard to fit in, especially as Frankie is in love with Patrick.  Oh and then Matt arrives, everyone loves Matt except for Frankie who just can't bear him.  It looks like this is going to be a holiday to remember.

I really enjoyed this novel.   Rebecca Farnworth writes a great story.  I loved the short chapters, each one told from the viewpoint of one of the characters.  This really lets the reader get to know each of the main players by not only seeing the side of them that everyone else sees, but being party to their secret thoughts and hidden secrets.  
It would be easy to really dislike a couple of the characters.  Frankie is stubborn, obsessive and a bit of a control freak, she doesn't appear to know how to enjoy herself.   Candy appears to be a bit of a bimbo, more interested in waxing and fake tan than getting to know her holiday companions.   Patrick can be foul, he drinks too much, he's rude and he's incredibly thick skinned.

As the story unfolds, the reader gets to know more about each character, and sees beneath the exterior, gets to know the story behind the facade that they put up.  

I loved the mix of holiday sunshine and relaxation and some very serious issues - the author blends these very well and has produced a really enjoyable, easy to read novel that made me yearn for another holiday very soon!

My thanks to Tina at Tripfiction who sent my copy for review.  Swimming Pool Sunday was published by Arrow Books (Random House) on 18 July 2013.

About Rebecca Farnworth (from her website www.rebeccafarnworth.com)

I didn’t seriously get into writing until I was in my thirties, despite always wanting to be a writer. Before that I was an English teacher, then worked at the BBC as a radio producer.I loved working at the BBC. But I still wanted to write and there never seemed to be enough time. So I took a leap of faith and decided to go freelance so I could continue to work in radio [and therefore eat – I cannot do the starving artist routine] and finally write. I wrote light-hearted features for magazines, and I started writing my first novel.The turning point in my career as a writer came when I was interviewed by the literary agent, Maggie Hanbury, who was looking for a ghostwriter for Katie Price’s autobiography. It was one of those life-changing moments, though I didn’t know it at the time. I got the job and ghost wrote what was to be the first of four best selling autobiographies. I have also ghost written a series of best selling novels with Katie Price.I have also written three novels under my own name, Valentine and A Funny Thing About Love and my third novel Swimming Pool Summer comes out in July 2013. I would describe my novels as romantic comedies that should make you smile but also have a bit of grit in them.
I live in Brighton with my husband and three children.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good Anne and at just the right time of year that we're feeling the need for a reminder of hot summer days!

    ReplyDelete